PS3- Mass Effect 2 using ME3 graphics engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PS3- Mass Effect 2 using ME3 graphics engine

Post  Randle on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Any review I see on the ps3 version of Mass Effect 2. They all say "the graphics are amazing, here's a few images to show the comparison" and sure, some of them do look better (not a substantial amount but it's only been a year so you can't expect much) But most of the Images I see from comparisons, well the xbox looks better and, well is there some sarcastic joke that I'm not in on that every one who talks about mass effect is? Or am i just smoking something and the PS3's graphics are indeed better?

See for yourselves and see if you agree with me:

PS3:
Image 1
Image 2

Xbox 360:
Image 1
Image 2

Image 3

(His shadows a bit fucked up in this one on the xbox, which they have fixed in ps3, but apart from that, I personally think the Xbox version looks better)

I've only really picked out the images which personally, I think look better on the xbox Razz I'm not saying the ps3 graphics aren't better, because in some of the images I've seen they are, but I suppose I'm partially still defending the xbox on the "PS3 GRAFICS ARE BETTER THEREFORE THE PS3 IS BETTER" argument.

Number of posts : 88
Favourite Map : The Pit, Sanctuary
Favourite Gamemode : Team Doubles or CTF
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile http://markrandle.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: PS3- Mass Effect 2 using ME3 graphics engine

Post  Sinbad 8 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 am

All I know at the moment in terms of graphical capabilities between the 360 and the PS3 is that 99% of all games (that are released for both consoles) will have the same textures and models etc etc.

The difference comes in the lighting at the minute - the capabilities to supplement badass lighting quality is far superior on the playstation than to the 360.

In the next 12 months we will begin to see PS3 take over more and more in the graphics department though.

"He who fears being conquered, has already lost the battle."
Sinbad 8
Admin

Number of posts : 68
Favourite Map : Asylum
Favourite Gamemode : Multi Flag
Registration date : 2007-11-28

View user profile http://witnesstheownage.gooforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Randle on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Sinbad 8 wrote:All I know at the moment in terms of graphical capabilities between the 360 and the PS3 is that 99% of all games (that are released for both consoles) will have the same textures and models etc etc.

The difference comes in the lighting at the minute - the capabilities to supplement badass lighting quality is far superior on the playstation than to the 360.

In the next 12 months we will begin to see PS3 take over more and more in the graphics department though.

Yeah, that was the one big difference I did see in the screenshots, the lighting is vastly improved in the PS3 one hands down. I'm guessing it's the lighting that affects the shadow in image 3 :p?
Still using Image 3, I think (apart from the shadow) the xbox version looks better, you notice the detail more than in the ps3 image. But then again, image 2 is better on the ps3 version. I suppose it's probably much harder for the developers to keep changing the lighting for every different part of the game though.

"In the next 12 months we will begin to see PS3 take over more and more in the graphics department though."

definitely agree with this, they're actually working on improvements they can make to graphics ect. on the other hand, Microsoft is pissing money in to advertising Kinect and ways to get a wider range or xbox buyers instead of focusing on the things that they already have, which is a good way to make money I suppose, but it further reinforces the saying that Microsoft are money grabbing cunts Razz However, I like their new tactic to gain money: Any time I sign in to live they try and fool me by saying I'm a silver member and I should upgrade to gold. They nearly got me the first time Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  HyPeR-09 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:11 pm

I prefer the 360. And I'm not just being a fanboy either.

The image of the trooper at the high security prison is all lit up, sure. But it suits it darker. Also I think I prefer the textured look of it all on the 360, whereas the PS3 looks smoother. Maybe this is 'improved' graphically but I still prefer the way it looks on the 360.

Besides, the difference isn't big enough for:

1) Me to care
2) Me to notice it whilst actually playing.
HyPeR-09

Number of posts : 76
Favourite Map : Beavers
Favourite Gamemode : Rocket Race
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HSW on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 pm

I personally prefer the lighting on the second image from the Xbox 360, don't know why. It's always subjective but, there would need to be a more definitive difference for someone to be able to consider the one better than the other, and call it fact.

Chaotic's right - the models, textures and stuff would surely be very similar? Just rendered differently? Maybe different anti aliasing on models?

My Halo: Reach Stats
My Halo 3 Stats

HSW
Admin

Number of posts : 188
Favourite Map : Pinnacle, The Cage, Asylum. | The Pit, Guardian
Favourite Gamemode : Multi Flag CTF or Team Slayer
Registration date : 2007-11-28

View user profile http://incompletejigsaw.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  aPhRo_ on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:28 pm

im not a ps3 homeboi but the machine is amazing for recreational, get your mates over and play some casual games, kinda gameplay, graphics are amazing, shader support is intense, and the power is phenomenal, the major difference between xbox and ps3 however is, the graphics libraries. The PS3 has an implementation of OpenGL|ES, and a low level libgcm for direct programming of NVidias RSX GPU which is in all ps3's. This means that programmers have a hell of a lot more flexibility over exactly what the limits are, i mean if they had the time and money and skill something absolutely amazing could be produced because they have no limiting factors when it comes to graphics software. But when you look at the XBOX all you have is DirectX in fact not even the latest version of directx. microsoft do not let their developers have access to the hardware instead interfacing must be through the API. Now when you look at that, microsoft are A) not letting the developers use the full potential of the machine or the ATI Xenos gpu. B) Restricting developers to DirectX. I mean directX is good, and has been around for a long long time, but OpenGL has a bigger community, is not for profit and has a consortium of top graphics companies contributing. To me this gives less rooms for commercial drawbacks to the graphics rendering capabilities as you automatically have less bureaucracy when it comes to legal side of things and how can we force developers to buy a certain toolset for our machine? Which is exactly what microsoft do. until recently anyone could develop for the ps3 as linux was installable upon it, but due to certain security problems it's no longer possible on the home systems anymore, unless you remove all updates i guess. But yeh microsoft have a good machine, it just could be a hell of a lot better if they took a leaf out of sony's book. I think sony know that eventually developers will be able to wield the ps3 into doing something absolutely amazing, which just isn't ever going to be in the cards for xbox, unless that is, microsoft stop thinking about the profits.
aPhRo_

Number of posts : 126
Favourite Map : AZ Road Atlas
Registration date : 2007-12-02

View user profile http://www.myresistance.net/ostat.php?name=aPhRo_cag

Back to top Go down

Post  Randle on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Xbox don't give people full access of it's capabilities? that's retarded. Even more so is not using the most up to date version of something, even though they had a system update which did basically nothing for the majority of people (It fixed the signing in issue for me I think Razz) And yeah, I doubt Microsoft will ever stop thinking about the profits :p If they want more money from Xbox, they will just make something which appeals to different types of gamers, e.g. Kinect which is pretty harsh to their customers, we pay 40 a year, we should be entitled to all of this shit Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top