VGA Highlights

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VGA Highlights

Post  Randle on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:47 am

The Spike Video Game Awards took place last night, in this thread ill note down all the awards (worth talking about Razz) and in another thread ill put down all games announced too. I've also put my opinion on the matter and looking forward to hearing your own.

Awards:

Game of the year award :

Nominees:
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops (ridiculous, its been out a month!)
  • God of War III
  • Halo: Reach
  • Mass Effect 2


Winner:
Red Dead Redemption

- RDR was a great game, but in my opinion there was definitely better games out this year, out of the nominees I probably would have chosen ME2.


Studio of the year :

Nominees:
  • Blizzard Entertainment, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
  • Bungie Studios, Halo: Reach
  • Rockstar San Diego, Red Dead Redemption


Winner:
Bioware, Mass effect 2

- Again, I think Bioware is a great studio, but Bungie in my opinion should have got this vote due to the fact they are so in touch with the Halo community, with weekly updates, regularly updated websites and posts ect.


Character of the year:

Nominees:
  • Ezio, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
  • Kratos, God of War III
  • John Marston, Red Dead Redemption


Winner:
Sgt. Frank Woods, Call of Duty: Black Ops

- I completely DISAGREE with this, the game has been out for a month, personally i think it shouldn't be in the nominees but hey Razz

Best Xbox 360 Game:

Nominees:
  • Alan Wake
  • Fable III
  • Halo: Reach


Winner:
Mass Effect 2

-Not having played Alan Wake, I can't have a completely fair opinion on this, but I agree with their choice in winner here, Mass Effect 2 was such an awesome game. It gave me so many hours of sweet play and still does Razz along with a pretty constant stream of substantial DLC.


Best Shooter:

Nominees:
  • Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  • BioShock 2
  • Halo: Reach


Winner:
Call of Duty: Black Ops

-You already know my opinion on call of duty black ops, they should have at least waited next year to have it in the awards, but by then another Call of Duty will be out, same game of course, just remodded textures and different storyline. Personally, I think Halo: Reach should have taken this title home

Best action adventure game:

Nominees:
  • God of War III
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2


Winner:
Assassins Creed : Brotherhood

- Only having played RDR, I cannot give an opinion on this, however from playing AC:2, I'm sure I would agree with this choice.


Best RPG:

Nominees:
  • Fable III
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Final Fantasy XIII


Winner:
Mass effect 2

They definitely made the right decision here:p, havnt played FF XIII, but the other 2 nominees were good games, but IMO have nothing compared to ME2. Razz

Best Multiplayer:

Nominees:
  • Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty


Winner:
Halo: Reach

-Haha,Razz not only am I glad that it got this award, but that it also beat CoD Very Happy, I think people are starting to realise that its the same game, over and over and over again. Back to Reach though. it is an awesome multiplayer, in a way I'm glad it differs from Halo 3 as it adds new dynamics to the game, but Halo 3, man. forget the game of the year, that was the game of the decade. Razz

Best Team Sport Game:

Nominees:
  • FIFA 11
  • Madden NFL 11
  • MLB 10: The Show


Winner:
NBA 2K11

- Now, I never play sports games therefore I really have no say on the matter, however, If I had to choose, It'll be FIFA 11, purely for the fact its the game that the Bombay Badboys rock out on:p

Best Original Score :

Nominees:
  • God of War III
  • Halo: Reach
  • Mass Effect 2


Winner:
Red Dead Redemption

- RDR had a great score, but again i have to go with ME2, solely for this piece Here It's much better in game as it plays at a pivotal moment in it and it really sets the scene.
(If you get a chance, listen to all of the OST of ME2. It's all on Youtube, one of the best OST's I've ever heard.)

Best Graphics:

Nominees:
  • Heavy Rain
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn (lol?)
  • Red Dead Redemption


Winner
God of War III

- From screenshots I've seen, God of War III deserves this award, heavy rain though is a close competitor. The person writing the nominees for this though was obviously "smoking a J" as, what the fuck? Kerby's epic yarn? Wow. And RDR graphics are nice, but I have seen a lot better.

Best DLC:

Nominees
  • BioShock 2: Minerva's Den
  • Borderlands: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
  • Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker


Winner:
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

- Haven't played RDR DLC, but by the sounds of it, it is good. However IMO, I think Borderlands DLC was the best, We had so much fun playing it, I suppose if I was playing it on my own it wouldn't be as near as good though. ME2 DLC was sweet too. A big thing i liked about it is it sorta bridges the gap between ME2 and 3 which I'm always a fan of:P

Most anticipated game:

Nominees:
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • BioShock: Infinite
  • Gears of War 3


Winner:
Portal 2

- The nominees list has some great titles, Bioshock and GOW3 are undoubtedly going to be great, yet Portal 2 is one of my most anticipated games, after playing portal 1. It's such a big change from most other games is mainly the reason. really cool concept and executed very well, along with cool humour throughout the game:P hopfully Portal 2 will be the same if not better Razz


There's the list of titles worth mentioning (I've left out things like the best Wii game for a reason:P, (think it was Mario galaxy 2 if you were wondering). I look forward to reading your post and opinions on the awards. Smile



Last edited by Randle on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Trackin' and Back-smackin'
avatar
Randle

Number of posts : 88
Age : 23
Favourite Map : The Pit, Sanctuary
Favourite Gamemode : Team Doubles or CTF
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile http://markrandle.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  HSW on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:54 am

I find myself not agreeing with most of those winners. Though, this could be due to lack of a fully informed opinion. Well done to Bioware with all their awards for Mass Effect 2 as well. Good to see Red Dead Redemption claim some awards, was a great game, great storyline and pretty unique too.

Seeing as AC: Brotherhood won the best action game award, I'm looking forward to try that even more now.

Thank god Bungie won Best Multiplayer award. They deserve that, it's hard to make a sequel that's different in enough ways to make it new, but the same in enough ways to make it the same game. Just ask activision, they don't even bother. Very Happy

Most of you guys my opinion that Halo 3 could never be improved much in terms of gameplay. However, as ChaoticSpear put it - They did really well at making a brand new game that seemed so familiar and yet so different.

Nice post Randle. Cheers for the updates.

_________________
Battle to the End

My Halo: Reach Stats
My Halo 3 Stats




avatar
HSW
Admin

Number of posts : 188
Age : 26
Favourite Map : Pinnacle, The Cage, Asylum. | The Pit, Guardian
Favourite Gamemode : Multi Flag CTF or Team Slayer
Registration date : 2007-11-28

View user profile http://incompletejigsaw.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  Mike FUBAR on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:01 am

Characters of the year were all jokes, pretty crappy characters if im honest. I think fallout new vegas should have definatly won a few awards. And most anticipated game is clearly going to be elder scrolls now.

_________________
WAKA WAKA WAKA WAKA
avatar
Mike FUBAR

Number of posts : 40
Age : 23
Favourite Map : Last Resort, Coagulation, Battle dome
Favourite Gamemode : Living dead, PROTECT OBAMA, Griffball, Hot Potato
Registration date : 2007-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  Randle on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:07 am

Mike FUBAR wrote:Characters of the year were all jokes, pretty crappy characters if im honest. I think fallout new vegas should have definatly won a few awards. And most anticipated game is clearly going to be elder scrolls now.

nah man, ME2:P the illusive man. its martin sheen playing him:P

_________________
Trackin' and Back-smackin'
avatar
Randle

Number of posts : 88
Age : 23
Favourite Map : The Pit, Sanctuary
Favourite Gamemode : Team Doubles or CTF
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile http://markrandle.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  Randle on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:15 am

HSW wrote:I find myself not agreeing with most of those winners. Though, this could be due to lack of a fully informed opinion. Well done to Bioware with all their awards for Mass Effect 2 as well. Good to see Red Dead Redemption claim some awards, was a great game, great storyline and pretty unique too.

Seeing as AC: Brotherhood won the best action game award, I'm looking forward to try that even more now.

Thank god Bungie won Best Multiplayer award. They deserve that, it's hard to make a sequel that's different in enough ways to make it new, but the same in enough ways to make it the same game. Just ask activision, they don't even bother. Very Happy

Most of you guys my opinion that Halo 3 could never be improved much in terms of gameplay. However, as ChaoticSpear put it - They did really well at making a brand new game that seemed so familiar and yet so different.

Nice post Randle. Cheers for the updates.


haha yea, completely agree with most you say, some of the awards were pretty retarded. the best graphics one made me laugh:p

_________________
Trackin' and Back-smackin'
avatar
Randle

Number of posts : 88
Age : 23
Favourite Map : The Pit, Sanctuary
Favourite Gamemode : Team Doubles or CTF
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile http://markrandle.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  Sinbad 8 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Awesome post Randle, nicely formatted as well mate.

On the award to best character, I disagree with the winner completely. John Marston was good, but I honestly think that Dante Alighieri should be in this - before you think this is just because I am a complete fanboy (which admittedly, I am) hear me out.

As a trainee character designer, there are a few basic rules that are usually implied when designing a character - one of which is, when conceptualising and creating the main playable protagonist, you must make sure that the player wants to 'be' or 'become' this character. (From reading into this basic rule, it is actually pretty much the main reason behind the fact that not many video games have the only playable character as a girl, as a guy would find it too hard to associate with them. Bar Lara Croft.)

So, why Dante? Well because you can associate with him so very, very easily - which in turn, leads to the player actually caring about the character, and perhaps even feeling as if they ARE the character. Dante sinned, and was only human - cheated on his wife, betrayed friends, killed people etc. etc. but deep down he was a good man. This ties in with everyone really, because everyone do bad things at some stage in their life, whether they like it or not - what counts if how you try and repent/redeem the situation - in Dante's case, he went all the way into Hell to fight Lucifer and save his bitch; that is badass. People can associate with his character - he's not perfect but he's a good man. Who else is like this? John Marston, which is why I think he would have been a good shout too.


_________________


"He who fears being conquered, has already lost the battle."
avatar
Sinbad 8
Admin

Number of posts : 68
Age : 25
Favourite Map : Asylum
Favourite Gamemode : Multi Flag
Registration date : 2007-11-28

View user profile http://witnesstheownage.gooforums.com

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  HSW on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:37 am

Sinbad 8 wrote: This ties in with everyone really, because everyone do bad things at some stage in their life, whether they like it or not - what counts if how you try and repent/redeem the situation - in Dante's case, he went all the way into Hell to fight Lucifer and save his bitch; that is badass. People can associate with his character - he's not perfect but he's a good man. Who else is like this? John Marston, which is why I think he would have been a good shout too.


Yeah I can see what you mean there. I don't really know enough to give an informed opinion on that Call of Duty character, but I do know that I would have liked to have seen John Marson win that, he's a very likeable character in my opinion. I was going to say that Ezio should have been in good stead to win it too. Having thought about it though, I don't think the player gets chance to see much in the way of Ezio's personality and character.

He's cool as fuck though. Cool

_________________
Battle to the End

My Halo: Reach Stats
My Halo 3 Stats




avatar
HSW
Admin

Number of posts : 188
Age : 26
Favourite Map : Pinnacle, The Cage, Asylum. | The Pit, Guardian
Favourite Gamemode : Multi Flag CTF or Team Slayer
Registration date : 2007-11-28

View user profile http://incompletejigsaw.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  Randle on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:54 am

Sinbad 8 wrote:

So, why Dante? Well because you can associate with him so very, very easily - which in turn, leads to the player actually caring about the character, and perhaps even feeling as if they ARE the character. Dante sinned, and was only human - cheated on his wife, betrayed friends, killed people etc. etc. but deep down he was a good man. This ties in with everyone really, because everyone do bad things at some stage in their life, whether they like it or not - what counts if how you try and repent/redeem the situation - in Dante's case, he went all the way into Hell to fight Lucifer and save his bitch; that is badass. People can associate with his character - he's not perfect but he's a good man. Who else is like this? John Marston, which is why I think he would have been a good shout too.


Haha yea, first time I've really heard about main character design, but does make sense really being able to see your self in the game would draw you deeper in to the storyline ect. Razz Never played Dante's Inferno so can't really have an opinion on him, but I agree with John Marston, I wish he would have won it. I can't really see anyone from call of duty series being a great character in the actual term of it. I bet the reason he was chosen would be because in the game he might have done some bad-ass things making most idiots think "wow he's the best character I've ever seen, ever!" until the next game comes out then they say it for some other guy:P Made me laugh in MW2, one mission was called SSDD(same shit different day). that's exactly how I would describe the Call of Duty series:P

_________________
Trackin' and Back-smackin'
avatar
Randle

Number of posts : 88
Age : 23
Favourite Map : The Pit, Sanctuary
Favourite Gamemode : Team Doubles or CTF
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile http://markrandle.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  HSW on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 am

Randle wrote:

Made me laugh in MW2, one mission was called SSDD(same shit different day). that's exactly how I would describe the Call of Duty series:P

Hahaha. Fantastic Irony. Well spotted and well said mate.

_________________
Battle to the End

My Halo: Reach Stats
My Halo 3 Stats




avatar
HSW
Admin

Number of posts : 188
Age : 26
Favourite Map : Pinnacle, The Cage, Asylum. | The Pit, Guardian
Favourite Gamemode : Multi Flag CTF or Team Slayer
Registration date : 2007-11-28

View user profile http://incompletejigsaw.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  Mike FUBAR on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:01 am

Benny in new vegas so far for me has been awesome, he should get it. There was one character in cod4 that i really liked, got shot though so... other than that they've been pretty me characters in my opinion. To be honest, sgt Johnson should win it every year, hes black and badass, hes got everything going for him

_________________
WAKA WAKA WAKA WAKA
avatar
Mike FUBAR

Number of posts : 40
Age : 23
Favourite Map : Last Resort, Coagulation, Battle dome
Favourite Gamemode : Living dead, PROTECT OBAMA, Griffball, Hot Potato
Registration date : 2007-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: VGA Highlights

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum